What we have gathered so far:
- Year-end 2022 report: Online Gender-based Violence
- Two Consunji-led firms included in Bloomberg’s gender-equality index
- Benguet vlogger pleads guilty to violating ‘Bawal Bastos’ law
- Man nabbed for ‘sextortion’ in Caloocan
- More Filipino children exposed to online sexual abuses
- Lalaki arestado matapos ikalat ang sex video ng girlfriend na menor de edad
- Lalaking nang-blackmail umano ng ex gamit ang nude video, tiklo
- Man arrested for ‘sextortion’
- 2 men face jail time, PHP1.6-M fines in Iligan for online abuse
- 4 suspects, including 15-year-old minor, nabbed for rape
Legislative and policy development
- Gatchalian wants to review enactment of anti-bullying law
- Ilocos Norte wants anti-cybercrime office after hacking incident
- Negligent parents face harsher penalties, jail time under Daza bill
- Landmark decision: Father wins protection battle vs abusive mother
- House panel okays bill amending law to include online violence vs. women, children
- Disinformation on SOGIE bill spreads as Filipino queers face real-world discrimination
- ‘Father who rapes own daughter has no place in PH society’ — SC
- Mayor Baste forms body vs human trafficking, violence against women and children in Davao City
- Senator calls for crackdown on child trafficking, online abuse
- Azurin leads PNP team in Abu Dhabi to boost ties on fight vs cybercrime, human trafficking
Tech for Good or Bad?
- Nonconsensual deepfake porn puts AI in spotlight
- Google shares tips for safer internet use this 2023
- Graphika report: China’s deepfake anchors spread disinformation on social media
- In fight for equal rights, queer Filipinos build communities on social media
- How to cope when you lose access to a digital world you love
- TikTok planning 2 more data centers in Europe amid data security concerns
- We will see more of this,’ tech expert says, as Twitter prepares to disable security feature for some users
- Meta launches paid subscription, for whom and why?
Safety and Security
- Gen Z doesn’t think anyone can keep them safe online, and one of their biggest concerns is photos getting leaked
- Digital Security Lab: a forensic service by Reporters without Borders
- Gen Z and Millennials Accept Online Creeping and Stalking as Part of Dating Culture
- Newsrooms need to do more to protect journalists from online harassment
- Safer internet habits: Essential tips on staying safe when online
- Don’t wait for disaster to strike: Here’s how we can manage online risks
- Cybersecurity expert’s tips: How to avoid ‘digital stalking’ seen in ‘You’ series
- If You’re Looking for Love Online, Here’s What to Know About Dating App Safety
- Disinformation Campaigns Against Women Are a National Security Threat, New Study Finds
Beyond the Philippines
- Online safety bill needs tougher rules on misogyny, say peers
- Seeing Is Believing Global Scramble to Tackle Deepfakes
- For Pakistani women, social media can be deadly – ABS-CBN News
- Malaysian bill seeks expanded protection against stalking
- Making the digital streets safe’: Calls for greater protection for women online
- Safety Officials Say Number of “Sextortion” Threats to Youth Growing in MN
- Tackling gendered disinformation in Uganda
- Study: Online harms faced by youth and young adults: The prevalence and nature of cybervictimization
- Digital Bridge: Munich Security Conference — Online content on trial — Kids’ privacy rights
- In the age of false news: A journalist, a murder and the pursuit of an unfinished investigation in India
Be a contributor.
We welcome content submissions for our online resource hub from our fellow readers and Southeast Asia partners who are advocating for women’s rights, sexuality, sexual rights and internet rights issues.
We count on you to help us monitor the current developments and wish to be included in our resources section. You are free to contribute in the language of your choice.
Help grow awareness on gender & ICT issues in the Philippines.
Share this issue and invite your network to subscribe to GenderScoop.