FMA in the News!
FMA releases the Digital Rights Report 2022
This edition of the Digital Rights Report from the Foundation for Media Alternatives documented the events, trends, and changes that had transpired in the digital space over the course of 2022. Building on the previous annual reports, this paper aims to offer a picture of the internet, both local and global and however torn apart by hate speech, disinformation disorder, and poor infrastructure, so Filipinos can come up with ways to move forward and build an equitable online space for all.
FMA releases a mid-year report on online gender-based violence in the Philippines
The Foundation for Media Alternatives (FMA) initiated an effort to map online gender-based violence (OGBV) cases in the Philippines in 2012; and as of June 2023, the organization has mapped 686 cases sourced from media reports, online correspondences from individuals, and personal narratives of victim-survivors from different communities across the country.
FMA celebrates International Literacy Day, hopes for better digital literacy education among youth
In celebration of International Literacy Day, FMA reminds us to recognize the profound impact of literacy on individuals and communities worldwide. Literacy is beyond the ability to read and write; it is a gateway to knowledge, empowerment, and social progress.
Having access to education means having the chance to unlock opportunities and participate meaningfully in civic life. But in many parts of the world, accessing quality education remains a huge problem, leaving millions of children with poor basic literacy skills.
What we have gathered this month:
Reports of various forms of gender-based violence continued. How responsive are laws in the Philippines? Are there instances in which we need to rethink about how we deal with gender and ICT?
- [Opinion] More Suspectible to Violence
- [Research] How Dating Myths and Sexism Fuel Online Relationship Violence
- ‘Secret Slaves: A Jessica Soho Special Report on Human Trafficking’ airs this Sept. 10
- Nobel laureate Ressa acquitted in Philippine tax case
- MTRCB board concerned over alarming online attacks targeting Lala Sotto
- TUCP: Ratify ILO Convention No. 190 against violence and harassment in the world of work in honor of late DMW Sec. Toots Ople
- Ex-NIA chief found guilty of harassment
- Surigao del Norte cult abuses kids, collects DSWD aid — Hontiveros | The wRap
- NBI arrests suspect for ‘sextortion’ – POLITIKO
- Maggie Wilson says online ‘trolls’ were behind smear campaign against her
- Exorcist-priests look into Talibon ‘evil harassment”
Press Freedom. Press freedom is an integral part of freedom of expression.
- SMNI News Facebook page disappears
- ‘It’s up to us’: Philippines’ Maria Ressa fights for press freedom
- PNP Central Visayas renews commitment to uphold press freedom
- [Event] REBELASYON: A Guide to the Active Vista Human Rights Festival 2023
Latest content about Deepfakes
- Elections Spotlight: Generative AI and Deepfakes
- AI, deepfakes and IP: seeing is not believing
- ETSI releases World-First Report to Mitigate AI-Generated Deepfakes
- AI can create deepfake child porn. State AGs want Congress to address that.
- U.S. intel report warns of expanded and AI-enhanced ‘deepfakes’
- Freedom on the Net 2023 – the repressive power of artificial intelligence
Philippine Government Initiatives. The government rolled out initiatives to surface nuances on women’s rights in the digital environment
- PBBM to highlight advocacy on food, energy security, PH digital potential, MSMEs in the 43rd ASEAN Summit
- Senator wants money couriers in fraudulent schemes penalized
- ASEAN DEFA NEGOTIATIONS LAUNCHED: PH businesses push MOUs on digitalization
- PBBM underscores need to create diplomatic solutions to global threats to peace, security
- CHR looks into abduction of two women environmental defenders
- Policy must not stifle MSMEs’ e-commerce potential
- PH should ‘seriously consider’ banning TikTok for gov’t security officials: NSC exec
- PNP probes 16,297 cybercrime cases in 2023; 397 arrested, 4,092 rescued
- PNP beefs up efforts vs. cybercrimes
- DepEd to get biggest digitalization budget in 2024 – DBM
- Dela Rosa: Govt should set standards on socmed to better fight cybercrimes
- LTFRB tells public: Report harassment inside public transport
- DSWD chief wants immediate digitalization of social protection programs
- PH government warns cybercriminals are using popular chat apps
- Data center to rise in N. Luzon
Tech for Good or Bad? Technology is neither good nor bad—the use to which it is put makes the difference.
- Cybersecurity should be part of schools’ curriculum — Kaspersky
- Huawei and Alibaba among companies seeking Chinese deepfake approvals
- Beyond SIM registration: A multi-layered approach to combating cyber scams in the Philippines
- Prosecutors in every state push to combat AI child exploitation
- Google wants clear AI labelling in political ads to combat deepfakes
- Google argues quality kept its search on top, defends billions paid
- Google DEEP Program: Empowering Filipino MSMEs with Essential Digital Tools
- Globe Group’s multi-awarded #MakeITSafePH campaign clinches double honors at PRCA Platinum Awards 2023
- PLDT and Smart teach teachers how to be cyber-smart
- Globe and IPOPHL team up to fight online piracy
- Google deepens commitment to help build a Digital Philippines with no-cost AI skilling courses, AI Startups Cloud Program, new Google Career Certificates
Connect-Your-Rights. Internet rights are economic, social, and cultural rights
- Cybersecurity should be part of schools’ curriculum — Kaspersky
- Converge, DICT join forces to provide Ilocos, La Union towns with free-wifi
- USAID Announces New Partner Commitments to the Women in the Digital Economy Fund and Launches the Women in the Digital Economy Initiative
- DepEd told: Stick to historical facts on ‘Diktaduryang Marcos’
- ICT stakeholders call for tech officer in every town, city
- Women entrepreneurs need access to to more digital tools
- [PODCAST] The Threats of Anti Terror Law in The Philippines
- Moms and kids have the right to connect safely online
Digital Safety & Security Tips
- Explainer: How to spot deepfakes and avoid scams, according to a cybersecurity expert
- Got an internet-enabled chastity device? Check your online security now.
- The three lines of defence: digital security in an interconnected world
- Demystifying Smishing vs Phishing Attacks for a Safer Online Experience
- The future of AI and cybersecurity
- PH needs 180,000 cybersecurity professionals: group
Beyond the Philippines
- Legal blind spot complicates punishment of online threats
- Decoding Disinformation | Episode 4: When disinformation campaigns fuel hate and harassment
- AccessNow is hiring a Grants and Contracts Manager
- Feminist Internet Research Network: Call for research proposals
We welcome content submissions for our online resource hub from our fellow readers and Southeast Asia partners who are advocating for women’s rights, sexuality, sexual rights and internet rights issues.
We count on you to help us monitor the current developments and wish to be included in our resources section. You are free to contribute in the language of your choice.
Message us here.